Friday, February 10, 2012

The Death of CD's??

Today in class we discussed a topic which has been talked about frequently in the past couple years, the fall of CD sales. It is a big issue as I have stated in past posts because with the average royalty structure, CD sales make up the majority of revenue.

I read an article in which I think breaks down the decline very thoroughly. He makes great points like CD will last as long as you can buy a CD player. So I encourage you to talk a look at the article as it will you give great insight to the status of CD sales.

I want to end this post with a question. Do you think the recent trend of vinyl production and sales is artists and labels attempt to make up for lost CD sales? Comment and let me know your thoughts!!

As always,
Keep The Music Alive, and Straighten Your Tie!


2 comments:

  1. Very interesting - I have noticed that many present day artists (such as the Postal Service, Radiohead, etc) have been coming out with vinyls in recent years. It used to be one could only find the classic stuff, or the terrible soundtracks that no one wanted to buy back then. I wonder if someday, CD's will be like vinyls to our children. If the CD player will be a thing of great lust amongst the hipster kids of tomorrow. If so, I'll be the coolest Grandma around - I'll show them how to fix any CD with a dab of toothpaste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know they are making a cd plaYER in cars not standard anymore. They'll all come standard with an mp3 hook up.
    SO WEIRD

    ReplyDelete